Applicants for this master’s programme need to complete an application form as well as submit all required information and documents via MyUM. Before starting the application procedure make sure you print, read and complete the following documents.
The first step of the application procedure is to register with Maastricht University via MyUM Portal in order to receive a user ID number and a password.
In case you have been a student at Maastricht University before, you can skip step 1 and proceed with step 2 of the manual.
The application deadline is 1 April 2019.
Admittance to the MHPE is based on the following requirements and decided upon by the board of admission. The applicant must have:
- a Master of Science (MSc) degree in a medical or health profession (see relevant domains in table below) from a university
- a Bachelor degree in a medical or health profession (see relevant domains in table below) from a programme that is at least a three-year equivalent of nominal study time (180 ECTS) for degrees of regular universities, or a four-year equivalent of nominal study time (240 ECTS) for degrees of universities of applied science (i.e., vocational/professional universities). For applicants with only a Bachelor degree, the following additional requirements apply:
- Applicants have at least three years of teaching experience (e.g., course or programme coordinator).
- Applicants must obtain passing scores for the entrance exam in basic statistics.
- access to a medical or other health-related curriculum (see relevant domains in table below).
- sufficient command of the English language. Please see ‘language requirements’ below.
|Relevant domains University||Relevant domains University of Applied Sciences|
|Biomedical Sciences||Cesar Therapy|
|European Public Health||Health Care Technology|
|Health and Life||Management in Health Care|
|Health and Society||Medical Biological Radio Therapy|
|Health Sciences||Mensendieck Physiotherapy|
|Molecular Life Sciences||Nursing|
|Movement Sciences||Occupational Therapy|
|Sport, Health and Management|
Teacher Health Care and Well-being
No additional evidence of sufficient command of the English language is required from applicants who:
- Are native speakers of the English language.
- Have successfully completed a Bachelor or Master of Science at a Dutch or Flemish university or professional education programme.
- Have successfully completed a Bachelor or Master of Science at a university or professional education programme in one of the following countries: Australia, Austria, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Luxembourg, New Zealand, Norway, Singapore, South Africa, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States of America.
All other non-native speaking applicants should enclose a copy of an IELTS test (International English Language Testing System (IELTS), TOEFL Test (Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL IBT Test), or Cambridge test that is no older than 5 years at the start of the programme.
- Applicants must submit an average IELTS score of at least 6.5 or higher and the score on each component (listening, reading, writing, and speaking) should be equal to 6 or higher.
- The total TOEFL score should be at least 90 (out of 120) and a minimum of 20 for each component (listening, reading, writing, and speaking) is required.
- The Cambridge test score should be: CAE, grade C.
Applicants are eligible for exemption, if English is their native tongue, if English language skills were tested before, or if they meet the above mentioned requirements.
When applying for the Master of Science in Health Professions (MHPE) programme, you need to submit the following documents:
- Copy of your passport (identification page)
- Passport-sized picture
- Certified* photocopies of higher education diplomas (Please note also see International Credential Evaluation on this site)
- Motivation letter explaining why you want to participate in the MHPE programme
- Application form
- Copy of TOEFL or IELTS score or in case of exemption "proof of suffiency in English"
- Financial statement / Copy of proof of financial support
*Certified copies need to be signed by a formal person from the institute you received the Higher Education diploma from. It should be bearing a seal or stamp from the head or registrar and a signature with the name an title of this person. If you cannot arrange the above than you should certify the diploma by an official person like a notary, someone from the embassy or town hall. Again the diploma needs to have a seal or stamp with a signature and name of this person.
International credential evaluation
Although the school has substantial understanding of the values and equivalence of a great number of diplomas issued from universities around the globe, it is not possible for us to judge the credentials of all universities and diplomas worldwide.
If the equivalence of your diploma is not clear to us, we will ask you to provide an international credential evaluation statement issued by the centre(s) of expertise for international credential evaluation.
A credential evaluation is a written statement which indicates how foreign diplomas and study programmes are evaluated in the Netherlands. There are two centres that issue this validation: SBB and Nuffic. They will issue written statements supporting the credential evaluation of your diploma.
The Information Centre for Credential Evaluation (IDW) acts as a central desk you can contact by phone or e-mail for questions, and where applications for credential evaluation can be submitted by post. If an official credential evaluation is necessary for your diploma, we will inform you as soon as possible. Please read the instructions for requesting a credential evaluation very carefully in order to avoid unnecessary costs and disappointment.
Please note the processing time as stated on the IDW website and make sure that you submit your request for the credential evaluation on time. Once the IDW has received your payment, the file is complete and all required documents have been submitted, the processing procedure will begin. The statements above are only advisory, and no rights can be derived from them. The university and the centres of expertise cannot be held liable for any damages resulting from decisions by third parties on the basis of a credential evaluation.
The credential evaluation statement must be uploaded with the rest of the application requirements to MyUM before 1 April 2018. Without a credential evaluation statement your application will be considered incomplete and will therefore not be reviewed by the Board of Admissions. Please note that the statement is issued only in the Dutch language.
- Print the manual and application form
- Complete the MHPE application form and submit it online, together with all required information and documents (scanned versions).
- Maastricht University will access your apllication and decide on your admission.
- You will receive a letter to inform you whether you are admitted, conditionally admitted (e.g. in case a document is still missing) or not admitted.
- If you are selected as a candidate for the programme, you will receive a provisional acceptance letter. Students are granted final admission upon receipt of the first payment of tuition fees (annual fees are to be paid in two instalments).
Tuition fee & payment
The tuition fee is € 15,400 to be paid in two consecutive terms of € 7,700. Not included are costs of accommodation, board or transportation. In case of delay of the programme, extra costs of € 650 will be charged.
The registration as a course participant is only final after the first term tuition of € 7,700 has been received within 30 days after receipt of the provisional acceptance letter or, when admitted after 1 April 2019 at the latest before 1 May 2019.
The second term tuition of € 7,700 must be transferred before 1 April 2019.
* Please note: this graduate programme has a deviating tuition fee rate.
The fee can be paid by bank transfer to the account number of Maastricht University:
220.127.116.118, ING-bank, Maastricht, The Netherlands
In care of budget number: 30605020N BIC: INGBNL2A; IBAN: NL47INGB0657625418
With your payment transfer, please indicate 1) your name and country and 2) without cost for the receiver.
Please additionally send a copy of your bank transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If there are not a sufficient number of registered participants four weeks prior to the start of the Master of Health Professions Education programme, the course may be cancelled. If a course is cancelled by the school, fees that have already been paid will be refunded.
If a registered participant wishes to withdraw from the MHPE course, cancellation can be done at no cost until 1 May 2019. If you cancel after that date, you will be invoiced for the amount of €100 to cover the cost of administration fees and bank commission.
Practical information after admission, start of the programme
You will be required to stay in Maastricht for at least two periods of three weeks. The first campus based Unit 1 at the beginning of the first year (20 May - 7 June, 2019) and the second campus based Unit 7 at the beginning of the second year (May 18-June 5, 2020). You are expected to present your Master Thesis and graduate at the end of the programme (June 2021). You may attend the presentation of the Master Thesis and the Graduation in Maastricht although this is not obligatory.